Preparing for TOEFL Reading is a straightforward.In conclusion, memorizing English words is the most efficient. I challenged the examination just by memorizing English words. I took the TOEFL twice, and I solved the Reading question four times, including the one on the day of the exams, and I got more than 20 points. There are many other countermeasures, so I will share them.
Preparing for TOEFL Reading
Know what TOEFL Reading requires
In the previous conclusion, I said that memorizing English words is the most essential and efficient way to deal with reading. The reason to increase TOEFL scores is to know the TOEFL test itself. There is a video explaining this accurately, so I will share.
This person is Josh MacPherson and is the head of instructor of an online TOEFL school called TST Prep. In TST Prep site, there is not only about Reading, but also about Listening, Speaking, and Writing, as well as a lot of useful free materials, so please use it for TOEFL study!
The summary of this video is as follows.
Tips for Reading
- Remember the location question – the answer to the question is in a well-specified paragraph
- Be aware of the modifier(such as adjectives, adverbs, etc.) – there are many hook questions used modifiers
- Identify the question type – depending on the type of questions, the answers can be identified to some extent
- Narrow focus and limit keywords – to be able to read faster and find answers easier
- Use the elimination method – to increase the percentage of correct answers
- Solve the same problem books or reference books more than twice – to improve the efficiency of learning English by remembering them
- Time management for each question – to increase the efficiency of the answer to the questions
- Be able to explain your answer – suppose you choose an answer, and if you can’t explain why you chose it, you’re generally wrong *3 causes of incorrect answers ①Misreading the questions ②Misreading the passages ③Misunderstanding words
- Decide when and where to study – find a time zone where you can concentrate and learn effectively
- Looking for a teacher who has good ability for English – Getting feedback facilitates learning English
If you want to understand this in more detail, I recommend that you watch the video above to learn.
Learning the background of the academias
TOEFL asks many questions related to education and knowledge that college students need to know.
For example, anthropology, archaeology, world civilization, American history and law, ecology, biology, botany, environmental issues, meteorology, astronomy, geology, human body, chemistry, art, economics, architecture, psychology, advanced technology, etc.
On the day of the exam, there will be questions such as the history, the technology, the research, etc. So, it’s a good idea to keep these simple knowledge in mind beforehand. This is because when you take a test, the speed of information processing in your head is completely different when you don’t know anything. If you want to have some spare time during the exam, I recommend you to learn these in advance.
Memorizing words (Best recommended)
Memorizing words is the most effective. It’s a quiet and difficult journey, but it’s a way to learn English that you can definitely feel the effect. I think each individual has a different way of memorizing words, but the following are the rules I used when memorizing English words.
- Using of five senses as much as possible
- Memorizing words through images and illustrations rather than characters
- Linking words with the sound
- Repeat the vocabulary book at least three to five times.
- To actively say the words you memorize or write an essay to make output
When I learned words, I used vocabulary books a lot. I used to use three vocabulary books before taking the TOEFL, and I did four times of all three books. A vocabulary book will have a tremendous effect only by repeating it.
I also learned words by listening voices and writing and essays, because I was able to combine words with the sounds and was able to get feedback from my native friends by using the words in my essay to output them.
Solving past questions (Not recommended)
It’s not a bad way, but keep in mind that it’s just a way. The most important thing in English is how many English words you learned before the test. I think there are advantages to solving past questions, but there are a few points to keep in mind.
Don’t try to memorize English words in past questions – if you want to, open a vocabulary book
Don’t just solve it blindly, but solve it with a clear purpose. – For example, what kind of questions you often make mistakes, what are the keywords in a sentence, etc.
Again, Reading is relatively easy to prepare, so if possible, focus on memorizing as many English words as possible, rather than trying to solve too many past questions.
Below is a Youtube account called Learn Toefl With Daniel with a lot of past questions on Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. Please use it for learning English (^◇^)
In the end
The above content can be applied not only to English study but also to other languages, so please make use of it! I would appreciate it if you could leave a comment if this article was helpful for TOEFL study or if you thought your language learning method was like this (о´∀`о)
References – YouTube.com
thumbnail – bestmytest.com